I am the art director at a newly started studio called Hazelight, founded by creative director Josef Fares and consisting of core members from the team behind Brothers - A tale of two sons. Together we are working on a very exciting new project with Electronic Arts as publisher.
Game development experience
Oktober 2014 - present:
Art director at Hazelight
June 2013 - September 2014:
Environment artist at Machine Games
Wolfenstein - The new order
- Did the level design and environment art for various chapters in the campaign.
- Worked together with scripters, animators, audio and other disciplines to find the best way to solve the levels from a gameplay, flow, visuals and event point of view.
September 2011 - May 2013:
Art Director and Environment artist at Starbreeze
Brothers - A tale of two sons
- Participated in the initial planning of each level not only from a visuals perspective but also from a gameplay, storytelling and scope point of view.
- Collaborated with level designers and artists to help make sure we made the most out of each environment's visual potential.
- Created many of the game's environment art assets.
- Polished environments to final quality, including final geometry and texture balancing on many of the levels and lighting and post processing on all levels.
June 2009 - September 2011:
Texture artist at Starbreeze
- Created texture sets for various environments.
- Worked closely with level designers and scripters, caring for all aspects of the levels, including level gameplay and story.
June 2007 - May 2009:
Artist / Level Designer on a mod project
- Created many of the mod’s environment models and textures.
- Collaborated on finding a good level gameplay for Decadence levels.
- Made initial concept art shaping the visual style of the mod.
- Modelled and textured all of the characters in the mod.
- 2013: Brothers - A tale of two sons wins multiple awards, including Bafta (for best innovation), D.I.C.E. (downloadable goty), VGX (Xbox goty), Gametrailers (downloadable goty), Dataspelsgalan (Swedish goty).
- 2013: Brothers - A tale of two sons was released and was critically acclaimed.
- 2008: 2:nd place in the "best map graphics" category in the phase 2 finals of Epic's Make Something Unreal Contest with DM-Worm.
- 2008: 4:th place in the "best DM or CTF level" category in the phase 2 finals of Epic's Make Something Unreal Contest with DM-Worm.
- 2008: Finalist in the "best Deathmatch level" category in phase 1 of Epic's Make Something Unreal Contest with DM-Cath.
- 2008: Honorable mentions in the "best DM or CTF level" and "best map graphics" categories in phase 3 of Epic's Make Something Unreal Contest with DM-Haze.
- 2008: Level DM-Cath featured in the UT3 essential map list of planetunreal.gamespy.com.
August 2006 - June 2009: B.A. in Media, Game Development - Graphics
The University of Skövde.
September 2001 - June 2004: Architecture
The Royal Institute of Technology in Stockholm
- Realistic and stylized 3d game art
- Environment design, composition and lighting
- Game content optimization
- Level design
- Post processing
- Unreal Engine 4
- Quixel Suite
- ... and others
Fluent in Swedish and English
claes_engdal (at) claeng.com